Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Cauliflower Parmesan Cake


This is probably the meal I have been dying to try for the last couple weeks when I saw it on Smitten Kitchen and I was not disappointed in the least. In fact, I was blown away. And that doesn't happen very often. We both went back for seconds. It was moist and the flavors all matched perfectly. I can't even fully describe it's effect on me - so you'll just have to make it and see...umm...I mean taste....for yourself.

Cauliflower Parmesan Cake
Yields: 6
  • 1 medium cauliflower (1 1/2 pounds) broken into medium florets
  • 1 large red onion, peeled - I wish I had a red onion (I thought I did!), but a yellow worked just as well
  • 5 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
  • 10 medium or 8 large eggs
  • Handful basil, chopped
  • Scant 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 2 heavy cups finely grated parmesan cheese or about 1 generous cup of grated Romano cheese (or a little of both like I did)
  • Salt and black pepper to taste
  • Butter, for greasing pan
  • 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds - I used normal and it was fine, but the black would have been cooler looking
-- Simmer florets in a pot of water for 15-20 minutes until soft. Strain and let cool.
-- Meanwhile, halve the onion and take off a few this slices - set aside. Chop the rest of the onion and saute them with the rosemary in all the olive oil until soft. Let cool.
-- Now whisk the eggs with the onions. Yes. Right there in the sauce pan.
-- In a big bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients (except the butter and sesame seeds)
-- Add the egg mixture and whisk until there aren't any more clumps
-- Now carefully stir in the cauliflower until coated
-- Pour into a spring form pan with parchment paper on the bottom and sides greased (with the butter) and coated (with the sesame seeds). Put the sliced onion on top and bake for 45 minutes at 350 until set.

I served this with brown rice and salad. YUM YUM YUM.

No comments:

Post a Comment