Friday, September 2, 2011

Healthy Mac n Cheese


I know.  A healthy Mac n Cheese?!  Is that even possible?

Well, yes.  It is.

Let me first say that when you're cooking almost-vegan, you can't expect the new healthier versions to taste exactly like the original.  The original tastes the way it does due to fat and calorie rich items used in the recipe.  The reason I like Mac n Cheese so much, is the creaminess of the noodles.

Ahh...I just love cream based noodle dishes - especially Mac n Cheese!  And this sauce is creamy!

I got this recipe from Angela over at Oh She Glows and it's amazing!  As is pretty much everything I try from her blog.

Not only is this sauce quick and easy, but it's also so tasty - even to my newly-heart-healthy taste buds!  I altered it just slightly to make sure there would be enough for a whole pound of pasta, and I'm so glad I did!

Very versatile recipe - switch up the spices or the items in the dish.  I'm imagining pureed broccoli in it or some sliced sweet cherry tomatoes with some spinach!

Now -- for what I did.

Healthy Mac n Cheese
Makes a little over a cup of sauce - perfect for a lb of pasta
  • 2 T butter (or, if you want to go vegan, a non-butter spread)
  • 1 c almond milk (unsweetened)
  • 6 T nutritional yeast (you can get this in the bulk section of Whole Foods)
  • 1 1/2 T flour
  • 1/4 t garlic powder
  • 1/2 t onion powder
  • 1 t oregano
  • 1/8 t nutmeg (one of my favorite spices, it just adds a depth to the dish that is lovely!)
  • 1 lb pasta 
-- Cook pasta according to directions
-- In a small sauce pan, melt the butter.
-- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, flour, and nutritional yeast.
-- Add to melted butter and continue whisking until it's thickened. (about 5 minutes)  Add more milk to thin it out, or more flour to thicken to your taste.
-- While mixing, add the spices (you can play with these all you want!)

No comments:

Post a Comment