Monday, May 21, 2012

Chilled Carrot Soup

Ahhh...chilled soups.  I love them.  Some people hate them -- and that's fine, more for me, right?  I adore soup and salad, and a little heat doesn't change that much.  The salads change, yes, and so do the soups, but it's still soup and salad.  (More on that in the next post)

This soup will be around a lot this summer.  It's filled with simple on-hand ingredients and get this -- I made this whole thing in the microwave in a large glass container with a lid!  Double score!

I found this recipe in my Health magazine and tweaked it just a little.  The original recipe called for just water and after trying it that way, I knew it needed some broth.  And then it was good.

I can see this soup next to burgers.  Along side quinoa salads.  With a wrap for lunch.  Yum.



Chilled Carrot Soup
Serves 4-6
  • 1 lb carrots - sliced
  • 1 TBLS fresh garlic, chopped
  • 1 large clove garlic, smashed
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (this will give it a good solid kick, so beware)
  • 1/2 tsp salt (omit if using full-salt broth)
  • 3 cups vegetable broth 
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
-- In a pot, or glass dish with a secure lid, combine all ingredients (except lemon juice).  Bring to a boil and simmer 20 minutes, or nuke for 15 minutes, until carrots are soft.
-- Add lemon juice.
-- Carefully blend/puree until smooth with a hand blender or in a traditional blender.
-- Chill until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment