Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Beef and Orange Stir Fry


This is a brand new recipe for me. As in, I've never, ever, made anything like it before. Sure I've done stir fry before, but I have never cooked beef like this. The only way I've ever cooked beef is when it's ground up, but this was so easy! It was so easy, in fact, that I didn't get into the kitchen to start cooking until 6 and we were sitting and eating at 6:30! The next time I make this, and there will be a next time, I will make a few changes. I'll reflect those changes in the directions or as an 'after note'.

Beef and Orange Stir Fry
  • 3 good sized oranges or 4 smaller ones
  • 2 cloves garlic - minced (I used the minced stuff out of the jar)
  • 2 T soy sauce
  • 1 1/2 pounds trimmed boneless sirloin or rib eye, cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
  • 1 T cornstarch
  • 2 T oil
  • 6 scallions, green parts only, cut into 1-inch lengths
-If you are serving this over rice, and I suggest you do, start that first.
-In a medium bowl, toss meat with cornstarch until coated. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Working in batches (adding more oil if needed), brown beef on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes; transfer to a plate.
-While you're monitoring that and in between batches, zest one orange into a small bowl. Add the juice from that orange, the garlic, and the soy sauce. (Here is where I will do things differently. First of all, I'll double the sauce and use orange juice from the fridge and use the orange instead in the stir fry. I will also add a little more garlic than called for, and maybe even a little ginger!)
-
With a sharp paring knife, peel remaining 2 oranges. Slice oranges crosswise 1/2 inch thick, then halve slices; push out, and discard any seeds. Set aside.
-
Pour juice mixture into skillet, and boil until syrupy, about 1 minute. Return beef to skillet; add orange slices and scallions. Toss until coated and heated through! This should all wrap up just as your rice is done!

***Don't throw the orange peels out! If you're going to make this soon (as in before Christmas) lay the peels out, let them dry, and then simmer them in a small sauce pan (never letting the water get too low) with cinnamon sticks or cloves! It'll make the house smell so good. Or, you can just throw them down your garbage disposal and make your sink smell yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment