Sunday, December 6, 2009

Chili


After a long, cold day, what's better than chili? This chili recipe has been described as "a chili I could eat every week - it's not seasonal", and as much as I'd love to know exactly what that means, I'm glad that it's enjoyed and raved about by all who eat it. This is a slightly sweet, tasty, hearty chili with lots of texture. I usually serve this with the typical chili toppings and my cornbread.

Chili
  • 1-2 lbs beef
  • 1 medium onion - chopped
  • 28 oz canned Italian diced tomatoes
  • 28 oz canned stewed sliced tomatoes
  • 28 oz canned chili beans
  • 14.5 oz can red kidney beans
  • 2 T brown sugar
  • 1 packet chili seasoning
--Brown beef and onion together. Drain.
--While beef is cooking, dump (and I mean dump - don't bother draining anything) everything else into a large stock pot.
--Add the beef when done - heat through


Like most chili, this is better on day 2 once the flavors have had time to mingle. A lot of times, I'll also just put it on low in the crock pot so it's amazing the first time around. Oh yeah - it feeds a ton. I usually get 8-10 servings out of it. And it freezes great!!

No comments:

Post a Comment