Saturday, January 23, 2010

Bread Pudding


As a challenge, I made bread pudding for Uncle Dave the other night. He had mentioned once over dinner how he loved bread pudding - and so the hunt began for the best recipe I could find. Having never eaten or made bread pudding before, this was tricky. And since I've only tried this one recipe, I'm sure there are other/better ones out there, but Uncle Dave - a bread pudding lover - loved mine just fine. :) I had never had bread pudding before, so I wasn't a good comparison judge, but Scot and I liked it a lot, too. If you've never had it, it's a cross between sweet baked french toast and monkey bread. It's really easy, though, so I know I'll be making it again!

Bread Pudding
  • 10 slices white bread, cut into cubes
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 6 eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups hot milk
  • 1 pinch ground nutmeg


--Combine bread cubes, butter, cinnamon and raisins; mix well and place in greased 2 Qt baking dish.
--Beat together the eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt. Add milk, mix well and pour slowly over bread cubes.
--Let sit for about 30 minutes

--Sprinkle with nutmeg and bake for 30-40 minutes - until knife comes out clean.


We served ours with ice cream...and I highly suggest this!

No comments:

Post a Comment