And now, a new recipe!
I can't even begin to tell you how easy this soup is. And usually, when a soup is a snap to put together, I expect it to be as equally simple in the taste department. Not this one! I walked into the kitchen late (5:30), but in 30 minutes, I went from having a cold, dark kitchen, to the family sitting down at the table.
Seriously. Thirty minutes.
And it was delicious! Absolutely delicious. I think it was the pesto that made the dish -- even if/when I have fresh basil around, I still think I'll use the pesto. Not only was it a cinch to use, but the flavor of it really brought the soup to a new level.
It also makes a bit, which is nice. I froze half for a later use. And, I got more portions out of it because I served it over some brown rice I had in the fridge. Gotta love an easy, delicious, versatile soup!
Chickpea Soup with Spinach and Pesto -- updated 9.13
- olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 TBLS minced garlic
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained OR any other white bean
- 4 cup vegetable broth + 2 cups water
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3-4 cups chopped spinach OR 10 oz pk frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2-4 T basil pesto OR 1 .5oz pkt basil pesto sauce
- pepper to taste (I didn't add any salt with the broth and tomatoes already having their own salt and it was fine)
-- Add everything else and heat through.