Sunday, November 27, 2011

Super Snappy Sides

I have here two of my favorite super snappy side dishes.  I grew up with versions of these and the cold weather months are just not the same without the cranberry applesauce, and the carrot raisin salad is welcome in any and all seasons!  I hope you enjoy whipping these up as much as I do!

First, the Cranberry Applesauce.


This side is so easy it's not even funny.  The only sad thing is that when I think about it, I have only ever had this at my mother's house.  Which can only mean one thing.  More people need to know about it!

This side is great with any meal, and I enjoy it hot or cold or in between.  You can omit the cinnamon if you want and replace it with some red hots. I use it as a dessert, sometimes. :)  My boys love it.


What you'll need:

  • 1  14oz can whole cranberry sauce
  • 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tsp cinnamon

What you'll do:

  • Mix everything together until cranberry sauce is all broken up and mixed in evenly.   Serve immediately or chill until serving, at which point you can heat it if desired.


Nutrition Facts (per 1/2 cup serving):
Calories 102 (Calories from fat 1); Total Fat 0g (Saturated 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 8mg; Potassium 47mg; Total Carbohydrate 24g (Dietary Fiber 2g); Sugars 20g; Protein 0g; Vitamins/Minerals - Vitamin A 18 IU; Vitamin C 13mg; Calcium 6mg; Iron 0mg; Folate 2mcg




Now to the Carrot Raisin Salad.
Can I just say that I'm so proud of these pictures?!  I finally figured out what "white balance" is and how to use it on my camera!  Hello pretty pictures!



This is not so much a salad in my book as it's a sweeter side.  The carrots give the dish a natural sweetness that is enhanced by the raisins and a touch of cinnamon.  The original "salad" has a ton of sugar and mayo and yogurt in it.  Since we're trying to stay away from all three of those ingredients as much as possible, I figured I'd make it with just the main ingredients and it turned out great.

The bonus?  My boys each ate an entire serving, which is probably the equivalent of a huge carrot which they would otherwise not be able to fully chomp on their own.  Score!


What you'll need:

  • 1 lb carrots, grated in a food processor
  • 1 ½ cups packed black/regular raisins
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp sugar (optional) taste the salad first before you add it!

What you'll do:

  • Mix carrot bits with the other ingredients and chill until ready to serve.

Nutrition Facts (per serving, 3/4 cup):
Calories 61 (Calories from fat 3); Total Fat 0g (Saturated 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 43mg; Potassium 455mg; Total Carbohydrate 34g (Dietary Fiber 3g); Sugars 24g; Protein 2g; Vitamins/Minerals - Vitamin A 9482 IU; Vitamin C 4mg; Calcium 40mg; Iron 1mg; Folate 13mcg

4 comments:

  1. Great picture! I like how you can really see the depth with the blurry spoon and bowl in the background.

    I decided to check out your site again for a new recipe for the week. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks! I hope you found something you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to see your blog! I ran into a couple friends today, and they said I MUST come to your blog and try out your recipes. I am so excited! We were also all talking about what a nice and wonderful person you are. So glad to know you! (Lisa Call)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Lisa, thanks! i do enjoy cooking and sharing! Now working on the photos! Enjoy browsing!

    ReplyDelete