Or Oatmeal Breakfast as Scot calls it.
This is what Scot wanted for his Father's Day breakfast and like always, it turned out delish! This is great on its own or with a little milk poured over it. We eat it plain because I don't really like the texture of oatmeal, all soggy and mushy and stuff. Anyways, this is an easy recipe to adapt to your own taste bud's enjoyment - just switch up the fruit in it!
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (you can use half or all apple sauce if you want)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs or eggwhites
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 TBLS baking powder
- 3 cups quick oats (I use rolled oats and it's just fine, but the consistency is best with quick oats)
- about 2 cups dried fruit (I usually do craisins and raisins, but this last time I used a "Fruit Medley" with apples, pineapple, cherries, cranberries and raisins - it was SO good!)
- 2 TBLS brown sugar, for topping
- 1 tsp cinnamon, for topping
--Mix in remaining - minus the brown sugar and cinnamon
--Put in lightly greased deep pie dish
--Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon on top
--Cover and let it chill over night
--Next morning, bake 35 minutes at 350!
NOTE: ADDED AUG 11
I have made this vegan and it's wonderful!
Substitute the milk for almond milk, the eggs for 2 flax seed eggs (6 T warm water w/ 2 T flax seed. Let sit 5 minutes and whisk in!)!
I've also added nuts to the fruit mixture, and really gone "crazy" with the fruit combinations. I've added coconut to some and it's always always turned out great, no matter what I do.
Oh, and I always use at least half applesauce and half oil - cuts way down on the fat and retains the moisture!