Friday, September 23, 2011

Steel-Cut Oat Squares



So you know how Scot eats so much oatmeal made from steel-cut oats?  Well, that means I have a [used to be] 50 lb bag of steel-cut oats in an airtight container in my basement!  And I'm dying to find new ways to use them!

While sifting through different food blogs the other day, I happened upon this gal and a recipe she had for Cinnamon steel cut oat bars!  I was intrigued so I read further.  When I got done I had already calculated the fact that I had everything needed on hand and that these would make a nice after-dinner dessert-replacing treat!

I switched up a few things, like raisins instead of chocolate chips and PB in the bar instead as a garnish (since I didn't have pecans on hand).  They turned out well - a little crunchy/chewy on the inside due to the oats that took as all by surprise.  In retrospect, I think these squares make a great afternoon energy boost for the kids (or a tide-you-over snack pre-dinner), but they aren't hearty enough to be a breakfast substitute (unless you consumed about 4 of them!) and they are definitely not dessert martial for our house.

If you want a breakfast cookie- use these.  And if you want a dessert, try this or this!

Next time, I may add some chocolate chips to see what that does.

How do you use your steel cut oats?  I'd love to know!



Steel Cut Oat Bars
Makes 20 squares
  • 1 1/2 c almond milk
  • 1/4 c honey or brown sugar
  • 2 t vanilla
  • 1 1/2 c steel cut oats - dry
  • 1/2 c flax seed
  • 1 T Cinnamon
  • 1/4 t nutmeg
  • 1 c PB
  • 1 c smashed banana (2 bananas) OR 1 c apple sauce maybe?
  • Handful or two of chocolate chips (opt)
--Mix the milk, honey/sugar and vanilla together in a small bowl.
--In a larger bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together and mix well
-- Add wet to dry and stir until all combined.
-- Stir in the PB and banana until combined (and chocolate chips if using)
-- Spread in a greased 9x13 baking dish and bake for 50-60 minutes - until it's golden brown!

4 comments:

  1. I would like to try a similar recipe, all I have now is wheat germ, steel cut oats, honey and brown sugar. Maybe something will work lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would cow's milk work instead of almond?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What temperature? I've got mine in the oven now and guessing.

    ReplyDelete