Tuesday, February 2, 2010

White Chicken Chili


This is one of my favorite soup recipes. I actually forgot I had it until the other day when my mom suggested I make it for them when they were up for dinner. Thanks, mom! It's easy and it uses cinnamon! I have yet to find another white chicken chili recipe that uses cinnamon in, and since I like the spice in and of itself, and I also happen to like little twists to common recipes, I love this recipe.

White Chicken Chili
  • 1 onion - chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic - minced
  • 2 (4 oz) cans chopped green chilies
  • 3-4 chicken breasts - cooked and cubed or shredded (if there's time, you can cook them in the soup, take them out, and then cube or shred before adding back in!)
  • 1 T ground cumin
  • 1 T dried oregano
  • 1 t (or a little more) cinnamon
  • Cayenne pepper to taste
  • 3 can Cannelloni beans
  • 5 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups shredded Monterrey/Jack cheese for topping
--Saute onion and garlic in stock pot. Add chilies, spices, and chicken if already cooked and cubed/shredded. Heat through.
--Add chicken broth and 2 cans of beans, start to heat to a boil. (Add raw chicken here if you have the time to let it cook in the soup. This is my favorite way to do it!)
--Meanwhile, puree the last can of beans before adding it to the soup.
--Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
--Serve topped with cheese and your favorite bread!

This is also a very easy crock-pot soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment