Monday, November 29, 2010

Red Wine Lasagna



I'm pretty sure this is the best lasagna I have ever had. If I've had better, I'm not remembering. It's so healthy, too, with the replacement of the Ricotta with tofu. If you're not into tofu, don't worry, you won't even notice it in this dish. It takes on the creamy texture that you would typically get with the Ricotta without all the fat that comes with it! And since it's tofu, it just tastes like everything around it, and really, you can't go wrong with that since this lasagna is bursting with flavors! We received this as a post-pregnancy meal and Scot and I both rated it as one of the top three dishes we ate in that wonderful time period where I did no cooking due to the fact there was a newborn in the house. Anyway, I finally got around to recreating the meal and it was fabulous, just like we remembered!

Red Wine Lasagna
Serves 8-10
  • Oven ready lasagna noodles
  • 1 lb sausage (you can do Italian or spicy it you'd like -- I just add a ton of Italian seasonings. I"m sure you could do, beef, too, the possibilities are endless!)
  • 1 box firm tofu drained
  • 1 box frozen spinach - thawed and squeezed dry
  • 1 large can tomato sauce (I use the Traditional, but you could use whatever you wanted)
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan
  • 3 eggs
  • Cheese for the top (about 2 cups Mozzarella or a combo of Italian cheeses)
  • 1 cup red wine
--Cook sausage until done. Drain and add tomato sauce.
--Mix the tofu, Parmesan, spinach and egg together.
--In a 9x13 pan:
--Layer: noodles, cheese mixture, meat. Repeat. Top with shredded cheese.
--And now, the fun part. Drizzle the wine over everything and watch the cheese turn a wonderful purple!
--Bake at 400 for an hour (covered for the first 45 minutes)

**This is very easy to freeze! Just wrap and freeze before you pour the wine. When you're ready to bake it, pour the wine and bake 90 minutes instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment