Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Ranger Cookies


Last night while my biggest "boy" and littlest one were both napping (gotta love being post-call, right?), Evan and I had about 30 minutes until dinner would be ready and everyone would be up. He asked me if we could make cookies. Now I'm not much of a cookie person, but I had one of those mothering moments where I just couldn't say no. So I dragged out some cookbooks (yes, cookbooks, since I have about 2 cookie recipes in my recipe box and I knew I didn't have enough chocolate chips in the pantry to do any good) and found a recipe for Ranger cookies. It instantly reminded me of the Front Range and I just had to make them. I had all the ingredients to boot! Even the coconut, left over from Hawaiian Haystacks! They were fun and easy to whip up and even better to eat!!

Ranger (Front Range) Cookies
Yield: 4 doz
  • 1 stick butter - softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/4 t baking soda
  • 1 egg
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup coconut
  • 1 cup any combination of raisins, craisins, dried cherries, chocolate chips
--In a large bowl beat the butter until creamy (30 seconds)
--Mix in sugars, powder and soda until combined
--Mix in egg and vanilla until combined
--Then add the other ingredients one at a time until all combined
--Drop small mounds (with teaspoons) onto a cookie sheet and bake for 8 minutes at 375 or until the edges turn a light brown.
--When done, transfer cookies to a cooling rack and wait...patiently...

Grab a glass of milk and just try to restrain yourself from eating half the batch before they're completely done cooling!

No comments:

Post a Comment