Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Banana Cream Pie


I love a good Banana Cream Pie. It's my all time favorite pie after apple. I think. It may be my absolute favorite barring all others. I'm not sure.

Yesterday was Pi Day (3.14...get it?) and in celebration, and just because I can, I threw a Pi Party. We had a light dinner of soup and salad, and then feasted on pies! I made my Key Lime, but since I also wanted to bake something new, I ventured out and tried my hand at a from-scratch Banana Cream. Attempt one was a flop. Well, it was actually soupy, but the second attempt was great. Lesson learned: read the directions carefully and when it says "stir stir stir" -- stir stir stir! All that aside, this was a fairly easy pie to throw together. You have to stand over the stove for 10-15 minutes strait, but it's totally worth it.

And yes, this was possibly the best Banana Cream Pie I ever tasted.

Banana Cream Pie
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 3 T cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups milk (2% or whole)
  • 3 egg yolks, beaten
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
  • 4 bananas, sliced (one extra if you want for the pudding - see below)

1. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, and salt. Add milk in gradually while stirring gently. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is bubbly. Keep stirring and cook for about 2 more minutes, and then remove from the burner.
2. Stir a small quantity of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks, and immediately add egg yolk mixture to the rest of the hot mixture. Cook for 3 more minutes (you want them to cook all the way through); remember to keep stirring. Remove the mixture from the stove, and add butter and vanilla. Stir until the whole thing has a smooth consistency. OPT: Puree one banana into the pudding to give it the extra banana flavor!! (A must in my book)
3. Slice bananas into the cooled baked pastry shell. Top with pudding mixture. Chill overnight (or at least 4hours). Serve with whipped cream and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment