Yes. This is another dish with quinoa. And black beans. But it's cold, and it's light, and it's refreshing, and even if 3 of your last 5 meals have involved quinoa and/or black beans, this is so worth making. It's very versatile and it's really an open canvas ready for you to make your own magic. The possibilities are truly endless!
This salad is not only quick to throw together (especially if you have extra quinoa laying around) but is always a great crowd pleaser wherever it goes. It goes to potlucks and dinner parties, and sometimes it’s spooned over a bed of salad for lunch. We hope you enjoy it and make it often.
Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
Active time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Serving suggestions: Eat with Burgers, Lentil Tacos, Sloppy Joes or a chilled soup.
What you'll need:
- 1 1/4 cup dry quinoa + 2.5 cups water OR 4 cups cooked millet
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can corn, rinsed and drained OR 2 cups frozen, thawed OR 2 cups small diced carrots
- 1 bell pepper, any color, diced
- 1 ½ cups skinned and diced cucumber OR 1 ½ cups chopped celery
- 4 scallions, both parts sliced thin OR ⅓ cup finely diced red onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (opt, but lovely)
- 3 TBLS lime juice
- 3 TBLS red wine vinegar
- 3 TBLS sugar
- 3 TBLS olive oil OR to make this oil-free, omit oil and use 4 TBLS of other liquids (this is the most flavorful method as well)
- 11/2 - 2 tsp cumin (to taste)
What you'll do:
- Prepare grain.
- Make the dressing by whisking all dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- When quinoa is done, transfer to a large bowl and let cool. Add all salad ingredients and toss well.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss well with salt and pepper to taste.
- Salad may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
Nutrition Facts (per serving, 1/8 of recipe): with oil
Calories 243 (Calories from fat 66); Total Fat 7g (Saturated 1g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 123mg; Potassium 445mg; Total Carbohydrate 38g (Dietary Fiber 7g); Sugars 7g; Protein 8g; Vitamins/Minerals - Vitamin A 182 IU; Vitamin C 20mg; Calcium 45mg; Iron 3mg; Folate 99mcg