Sunday, July 10, 2011

Gazpacho II


It is amazing to me what the lack of humidity does to a "hot" day. I'm visiting the beautiful state of colorado right now and the change from Cleveland's weather is shocking. I honestly forgot how amazing the dry heat is. A 90 degree day literally feels like a 78 degrees with humidity day back in Ohio.

Still, though, a hot day is a hot day, and in my estimation, a hot day needs a cold soup. What better cold soup to make than a realy good Gazpacho? So I looked through my mom's cookbooks and found quite a few that I like. One of them had a Gazpacho recipe that looked worth trying -- so we did, and it was worth it.

Gazpacho
Serves 6

  • 4-5 cups cold tomato juice (I just used one of those large cans)
  • 1 small onion - minced
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 green pepper - diced
  • 1 cucumber - diced
  • 2 scallions - chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic - minced
  • 2 t lemon juice
  • 1 T lime juice
  • 2 T wine vinegar
  • 1 t tarragon
  • 1 t basil
  • dash or two of ground cumin
  • 1 t honey
  • 1/4 c fresh chopped parsley
  • 2 T Olive Oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
-- Combine all ingredients and let chill 2 hours before serving.

Note: I pureed about 1/3 of the soup to give it a better texture. You can puree it all if you want, too, to save you time.

No comments:

Post a Comment