Friday, November 25, 2011

Black Bean & Squash Quesadillas



First off, I hope everyone had a great and happy Thanksgiving!  Now for a recipe that is filling and delicious and totally healthy!  Just in case you didn't eat the greatest yesterday.

Second, I would like to say a big thank you to Angela who inspired this dish.  Also that I'm so excited for her cookbook!  I found her recipe and just knew I had to try it.  I was not disappointed -- all three of my boys loved this!

I only had Acorn Squash on hand, so I used that instead of Butternut, but you could do either, I don't think it matters.  I also upped the amount of squash since the amount called for just didn't seem like enough.  These would be fabulous as burritos, too, I just didn't happen to have the large burritos, and the boys requested quesadillas, so I improvised!

We served this with salsa and a salad.  We will be making this again, and when I do it next time, I'm roasting a ton of squash so I can freeze some and make these whenever I want to!




Black Bean & Squash Quesadillas
Makes 4 quesadillas or large burritos
  • 1 med butter nut or acorn squash - microwave to soften it, scoop out the pulp, then roast for about 20 minutes at 400.  Mash it and take out 3 cups. 
  • 1 1/2 c black beans (1 can rinse and drain)
  • 1 1/2 c cooked brown rice - 3/4 c dry with 2 c water
  • 1 c chopped onion
  • 1 red bell pepper - deseeded and diced
  • 1 t salt
  • 2 t cumin
  • 4-8 tortillas depending on if you're doing burritos or quesadillas
  • toppings of choice: cheese, sour cream, avocado, lettuce, salsa...  
-- Start your squash and rice.  Once done:
-- Saute onion for 5 minutes to soften.  Add the bell pepper and spices and cook for another 5 minutes.
-- Add the beans, cooked rice, and mashed squash.  Cook until heated through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment