First off, I hope everyone had a great and happy Thanksgiving! Now for a recipe that is filling and delicious and totally healthy! Just in case you didn't eat the greatest yesterday.
Second, I would like to say a big thank you to Angela who inspired this dish. Also that I'm so excited for her cookbook! I found her recipe and just knew I had to try it. I was not disappointed -- all three of my boys loved this!
I only had Acorn Squash on hand, so I used that instead of Butternut, but you could do either, I don't think it matters. I also upped the amount of squash since the amount called for just didn't seem like enough. These would be fabulous as burritos, too, I just didn't happen to have the large burritos, and the boys requested quesadillas, so I improvised!
We served this with salsa and a salad. We will be making this again, and when I do it next time, I'm roasting a ton of squash so I can freeze some and make these whenever I want to!
Black Bean & Squash Quesadillas
Makes 4 quesadillas or large burritos
- 1 med butter nut or acorn squash - microwave to soften it, scoop out the pulp, then roast for about 20 minutes at 400. Mash it and take out 3 cups.
- 1 1/2 c black beans (1 can rinse and drain)
- 1 1/2 c cooked brown rice - 3/4 c dry with 2 c water
- 1 c chopped onion
- 1 red bell pepper - deseeded and diced
- 1 t salt
- 2 t cumin
- 4-8 tortillas depending on if you're doing burritos or quesadillas
- toppings of choice: cheese, sour cream, avocado, lettuce, salsa...
-- Saute onion for 5 minutes to soften. Add the bell pepper and spices and cook for another 5 minutes.
-- Add the beans, cooked rice, and mashed squash. Cook until heated through.