Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Vegetable Lasagna


I really enjoy a hearty lasagna.  Since we've gone heart healthy, I really miss my easy Spinach Lasagna.  So now, when ever I make a lasagna, I make sure to just chock it full of veggies and replace the common ricotta with a very soft tofu.  I figured I'd share the basic recipe with you all.  I don't really go by a recipe, but I'll give you what I do. 

Vegetable Lasagna
  • 1 - 2 T white wine or a really dry sherry (I use this instead of OO sometimes to add extra flavor)
  • 1 large onion - chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic - minced
  • 4 cups sliced zucchini and squash
  • 1 pack froen spianch or 1 can spinach - drained
  • 1 box soft tofu (not the firm or extra firm kind) drained
  • 1 T herbs de provence (or other spices to your liking)
  • 1 large can your favorite pasta sauce
  • whole wheat lasagna noodles
  • a wee bit of cheese for the top
  • some nutritional yeast (2-3 T) if you have it on hand for the top
-- Saute the onion, garlic and squash and zucchini in the wine until everything is nice and soft. (I like to puree it at this point because my boys eat it better when they think it's just part of the spinach, but you don't have to)
-- In a bowl, combine the tofu, spinach, sauteed vegetables, and spices and stir until "creamy".  This is your cheesy mixture. :D
-- In a 9x13 baking dish, put just a little sauce.  Now layer: noodles with a little sauce on top, and then half the "cheesy mixture" with a little more sauce.  Now, do it again.  End with the noodles, sauce, and then sprinkle as much cheese and nutritional yeast as you'd like on the top.
--Spray some tin foil with Pam, and cover the lasagna, Pam-side down, and bake for an hour at 350.

I always serve lasagna with yummy bread and a big hearty salad.  ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment