Friday, February 24, 2012

Red Lentil Carrot Soup


Oh, I know.  Spring is right around the corner and here I am posting a hearty soup recipe.  But you have  to give this recipe a try before Spring is really upon us.  It's so easy and so good.  And all you need is a hunk of crusty bread and a simple green salad to make this meal a complete one.

My boys loved it, my husband loved it, and I wish I had doubled it.    Next time I will double this and it will be a fabulous soup to pull out of the freezer on a night I don't feel like cooking.

I served this with that amazing No Knead Bread.  We will definitely be seeing this in our soup bowls again.

Red Lentil Carrot Soup 
Serves 6
  • 5 cups vegetable broth (low sodium is best)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 1/2 t ground cumin
  • 1/2 t turmeric
  • 1/2 t oregano
  •  1 1/2 lbs carrots - sliced thin
  • 1 large onion - chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups dry red lentils - rinsed and picked through
  • 4 cloves garlic - minced
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/2 t pepper
-- Microwave carrots 5-6 minutes until soft.
--Place all ingredients into a large saucepan.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for one hour, until lentils and carrots are soft.  Mash with potato masher for a more consistent texture.
CROCKPOT:  Bring liquids and spices to boil in sauce pan and then carefully pour into a crockpot.  Add everything else and cook on high for 5-6 hours, or low for 8-9 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment