Monday, March 5, 2012

Cheater Oatmeal


Some mornings I need the boys to not only eat a good breakfast, but I also need them to eat it fast.  With my guys, this can usually be an issue.  And when there's not time to make pancakes (something they scarf down almost faster than I can make them), I have found that a little healthy cheating on my oatmeal does the trick.

Enter Carnation Instant Breakfast.

I used to buy boxes of these things back when we drank milk.  I personally had one about every week or so when I needed a little boost or a quick breakfast myself.  But for the last 10 months, I've had 2 boxes in my pantry untouched.  That is, until a couple weeks ago when I had this hair-brained idea.  And I'm sure it's been done before, but since I had never ever heard of doing it, I figured I'd share it here in case you, too, were unaware of the magic of cheater oatmeal.

Cheater Oatmeal
1 adult serving (2 kid servings)
  • 1 cup old-fashioned or quick oats
  • 1 1/2 cups water or corresponding amount of water to your liking. 
  • 1/2 packet of your favorite Carnation Instant Breakfast (about 2 T worth)
  • Milk (if you want it) for the top
-- Make your oats.
-- Sprinkle 2 Tablespoons (or about half) of the packet into the oats and stir until all chocolate/strawberry/vanilla is incorporated.
-- Add a splash of milk, if desired, to gain the right consistency


Now sit back and watch your kids scarf that bowl of oatmeal down with a smile on their face!  They'll think they were just given the best treat ever, and you can rest assured that they're getting extra vitamins and minerals, too!

6 comments:

  1. I hav a protein powder that I use that is a powerhouse of nutrients and all natural. I used to be a fan of carnation instant breakfast too....until this entered my life!
    Www.lisakrenzjuiceplus.com
    It is called Complete powder and comes in choc or vanilla!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - I'll have to look into this. We don't do the carnation stuff too often, but when we run out, I'll be looking for a replacement. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  2. I would actually LOVE to get together with you!! we are so like minded in our views/ thinking on food. I have met and seen Dr. Esselstyn in person and his wife Ann. You have probably seen her at Whole Foods. I have run into her there! I am a nurse and a wellness educator and I just feel the need to pick your brain alittle. I am sure you can teach me a thing or two!! I could bring over some of my Complete powder and we could do a smoothie for you guys to try! or you could come here. ARe you on the east side? I am in strongsville. I would love to get seomthing set up for this month! if you wanted to meet at a public place instead that would be fine too! I dont want to freak you out or anything!!!
    I am friends with Jamie Elwell, she referred me to your blog. I made your lentil tacos for my husband's birthday dinner when we had everyone over!
    Your blog is just awesome!!!!! I LOVE your 'the why' section.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i would love to meet up. this month is a little crazy for us as a family, but maybe we could figure something out. i live just a few doors from jamie, actually, so yes, on the east side. :)

      Delete
  3. I am doing this for breakfast right now. We'll see how it turns out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it didn't go over so well. Caleb refused it and so did Wesley. I on the other hand enjoyed mine. I have only 1 packet left of the instant breakfast so I'll do this again at least once more. :)Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete