Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Black Bean Quinoa Burgers

And yet another recipe from Two Blue Lemons.  What can I say?  I found them and I'm working through the recipes that looked good to me.


These burgers were delicious.  I originally made them huge, as in 3/4 c patties (that's what's pictured), and they were a little on the didn't-hold-together-real-well side due to how thick they were.  But the second time around I used a packed 1/2 cup scoop and those were just right.  I guess sometimes I need to follow the directions, huh?  I topped them with sauteed zucchini, tomatoes, cilantro, and some honey mustard.

Super easy to throw together, I think they're almost fool-proof. The one thing you have to do, though, is get your hands dirty and squish and squeeze the burger mixture so it'll stick together.  A little disconcerting to some, maybe, to see the stuff squishing through your fingers, but it's fun.  Really.  I've done it twice in one week.

 But be prepared, your hands (and diamond!) could end up looking like this!



And here they are, all ready to be cooked!  YUM!

Black Bean Quinoa Burgers
Serves 4
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup dry quinoa + 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs, corn meal or pulsed oats
  • 1/2 t chili powder
  • 1 t cumin
  • 1 T tomato paste
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
Toppings: 
  • Mustard
  • Ketchup
  • Tomatoes
  • Sauted Zucchini
  • Spinach/Lettuce
  • Avocados
  • Fresh cilantro

--  Cook quinoa like you would rice on the stove or in a rice cooker. (This can be done ahead of time)
-- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and squish with your fingers to get it all to mash together.  You can try a spoon, but I fear your burgers will fall apart.
-- Form into 1/2 c (a good-sized 1/2 cup portions!) patties and pan fry 5 minutes each side.  (Scot and I also cheated on a really hot day last week and ate these still as burgers but without cooking them and they were still fabulous and didn't even break apart.)
-- Put on toasted bun, whole wheat English muffin or sandwich thin, top away, and enjoy!

Alternatively, you can break this mixture apart and put it in a tortilla with all the "toppings" and eat it as a wrap.  It's great!

No comments:

Post a Comment