Monday, October 29, 2012

Butternut Squash Rice Bowl

I was going to wait to post this, but I just couldn't wait another day.



This dish is a new favorite.  As in, if I didn't have so many new dishes I wanted to try, I would be making this once a week.  It was really that fabulous.  And I'm not talking just the flavor, either.  This dish somehow gives me the same comfort level as homemade mac 'n' cheese (which, if you're been around the blog a while, you know how much I love -- and miss -- homemade mac 'n' cheese!).  It's rich and creamy, and totally satisfying.

I was a little nervous with the butternut squash since they're typically not very fun to prepare, but it wasn't that bad.  I peeled my squash, cubed it, and roasted it.  But I could have just as easily cut it in half, roasted it face-down, and scooped the insides out.  Either way, I do suggest doing this step ahead of time if you're looking for a quick dinner.  I had my rice and squash already prepared and this came together in about 15 minutes.

I got the recipe here, and pretty much just made it completely plant-based, and also subbed in my faux coconut milk to cut down on the fat content.  Please don't let this just sit in your "I want to make this" pile.  Make it tonight.  Or tomorrow night, even, if you don't have the squash on hand.  But make it.  You won't regret it!

Oh, did I mention both my little boys "mmmmm"'d through all of dinner?  Yeah.  They did.

Butternut Squash Rice Bowl
Serves 4 big bowls
  • 3 cups cooked brown rice
  • 2-3 cups cooked butternut squash -- acorn squash and canned pumpkin also work really well. 
  • 2 cans white kidney beans, rinsed and drained OR great northern
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 1/2 c almond milk
  • 1 t coconut extract
  • 1 c vegetable broth
  • 1/4 t powdered ginger
  • 1 t dry cilantro (or oregano)
  • 1/2 t cumin
  • 1/4 t pepper
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 1/2 t lime juice (opt)
-- Saute onion in a large skillet for 5-10 minutes.
-- Add in all liquids and spices. Let heat and almost simmer.
-- Add in the butternut squash and mash with a potato masher until the mixture is thick and creamy.  Heat through.
-- Add in the rice and beans and stir until combined.  Add lime juice if using.

No comments:

Post a Comment