Monday, November 5, 2012

Stuffed Peppers (Skillet option)

I've always held a grudge against Stuffed Peppers.  I think the last time I made them was before either of the boys were born...I guess I can hold a long grudge! They taste great, yes, but they take so. long. to put together.Not only do you saute everything, and core out the peppers, but then you have to bake them for 40 minutes!

I followed the recipe (here), but then to my disappointment, just as everyone always does, we cut the pepper and stuffing up until it was just a pile of the stuffing with bits of peppers in there.  Again, tasted great, but I decided I'm changing this to a skillet dinner!

Not only will it still taste the same (if not better!), but I'll cut at least 45 minutes off the making time! Ahh...why didn't I think of this before I made this?!  Live and learn, right?





Skillet Stuffed Peppers (not pictured)
Serves 4-6

Active time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Serving Suggestions:  Serve with a side of sweet potato fries or creamy sweet potato soup.

What you'll need:

  • 1 cup dry lentils, picked over and rinsed well
  • 1/2 cup dry brown rice 
  • 1 cup vegetable broth + 2 cups water
  • 1 8 oz pkg mushrooms, chopped well
  • 4 cups finely diced green peppers
  • 1 lg onion, diced
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • salt to taste
  • 1, 24oz, jar full-flavored spaghetti sauce
What you'll do:
  • Cook lentils and rice together with the broth and water until done.
  • Saute peppers, mushrooms, onions and garlic in a large skillet or dutch oven for 10-15 minutes until everything is soft. 
  • Add lentils, rice, spices and sauce.  Stir and heat through.  
Time Tip:To make this dinner come together in a snap, have the lentils and rice made ahead of time.


Nutrition Facts (per serving, 1/4 of recipe):
Calories 408 (Calories from fat 33); Total Fat 4g (Saturated 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 641mg; Potassium 1528mg;Total Carbohydrate 77g (Dietary Fiber 23g); Sugars 20g; Protein 20g; Vitamins/Minerals - Vitamin A 1231 IU; Vitamin C 129mg; Calcium 96mg; Iron 6mg; Folate 268mcg

No comments:

Post a Comment