Friday, December 14, 2012

Curried Lentil, Squash and Apple Soup

I had this soup saved to grace my Christmas table.  When I got down to actually planning out what I wanted, I realized it would be a little redundant, and I also really just wanted my creamy sweet potato soup instead.  Something about the tradition of it always being there each and every year.

With that being said this is the last post until after Christmas, ya'll!! It's all about family and our traditions and while we'll still be eating healthy, I'm not going to update this little blog for a couple weeks. Hope you understand!!  And I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!!  I'll have a delicious winter chili recipe coming your way right before the New Year, but until then, I have this delicious soup for you!

So even this didn't make it onto the Christmas dinner menu, the soup still sounded really good, so I made it. Let me tell you all -- it takes a little longer from start to finish than most of my other soups, but it was worth it.  Most of the extra time was just simmering anyway, so it's not like it was labor intensive.

I got the recipe over here, and except for the amount of broth I used, I followed the directions pretty close.  (Amazing for me, right?)  I served this with a good crusty bread and called it good.  Because the soup is a little on the special side, it worked well.



Curried Lentil, Squash and Apple Soup

  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
  • 1 T minced garlic
  • 1/4 t powdered ginger
  • 1 T curry powder
  • 1/2 c dry lentils, rinsed well
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 T tomatoe paste
  • 3 cups peeled/chopped butternut squash
  • 1 large apple, unpeeled, and chopped
  • 5 oz spinach
-- In a large pot, saute the onion and carrot for about 10 minutes.  Add in the garlic and spices and saute another 2 to 3 minutes.
-- Stir in the lentils, broth, and paste and bring to boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes.
-- Add in squash and apple, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer another 25 minutes until the squash and apple are soft.
-- Add in the spinach and stir until wilted.


1 comment: