Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Cannellini "Meatballs"

Happy New Year!  Is anyone else shocked that it's 2013?  I sure have a hard time...

My boys love them some pasta.  Any kind I put in front of them is eaten with a speed I wish accompanied each and every meal.  They're mini-carboholics like their momma!


Poor little guys are yummy, but in the midst of getting dinner on the table, their beauty was  harder to capture than I thought

Only thing is, I get tired of pasta and sauce, no matter how protein filled they are.  Since we don't eat meat, meatballs are out of the question.  But then I saw this recipe and thought I'd give it a try.  I tweaked it a little bit, but we thoroughly enjoyed it.  I don't think it's something I'll be making often -- while easy, it was just too much time when I can bulk up a sauce so much faster.  Everyone loved it, though, so I was happy, and I will make it again.

Right out of the oven

Cannellini "Meatballs"
Makes 16 "balls"
  • 2 cans cannelloni beans, rinse and drain
  • 3/4 cup chopped roasted bell pepper (from a jar)
  • 3/4 c chopped onion
  • 2 t minced garlic
  • 1 T oregano
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c + 2 T breadcumbs
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 large jar of your favorite pasta sauce
  • 1 lb whole wheat pasta
-- In a food processor, pulse the beans and the roasted pepper until chunky.  You don't want it pureed, you want it with chunks so it sticks together well
-- In a bowl, combine bean mixture with all other ingredients through the salt/pepper.  Once fully combined, take a large spoon and form mixture into 2-3T sized balls.
-- Place them on a greased baking pan, or silpat so you don't have to use any oil, and bake at 350 for 20 minutes, until golden brown and firm to the touch
-- While they're heating, boil your water and cook the noodles.  Also, heat the sauce in a large skillet to warm.
-- Once the "meatballs" are cooked, gently stir them in the sauce and serve them over the cooked and drained pasta!
-- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top is desired and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment