Saturday, May 11, 2013

Chickpea Ratatouille


This was one of the easiest meals I've put together in a while.  Most likely due to the "dump in the crockpot" aspect of the dish.  With meals this easy, I'm always nervous they'll be lacking in taste.  As I'm beginning to find with all of Dreena Burton's recipes, I don't need to fear.

I adapted this recipe to what I had on hand.  I served it over rice, but you could spoon it over quinoa, millet, or even barley.  Heck, you could even use this as a type of pasta sauce!  All you really need to make this a complete meal is something hearty and green to go along side!

Original recipe here by Dreena Burton.

******And don't forget about the GIVEAWAY!  Only 2 days left to enter!******

Chickpea Ratatouille 
Serves 4
  • 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1 lg red onion, finely diced
  • 1 TBLS minced garlic
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes with juice (I've used one regular and one Italian.  For some heat, use fire roasted!)
  • 2 TBLS apple cider vinegar
  • 2 TBLS brown sugar
  • 2 tsp mustard seeds
  • 2 tsp basil
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp rosemary
  • 1/8 tsp allspice
  • 3-4 cups cooked brown rice or other grain
-- Combine everything in a crockpot, cover, and cook on low for 6 hours (or high for 3 hours) until the onions are soft
-- Stir mid way through, and when done, spoon over rice

OVEN OPTION: Combine all ingredients in a lightly greased baking dish.  Cover and cook 1 hour at 400, stirring once in the middle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment