I just love cold salads in the summer. They're refreshing and cleansing and easy to whip up. You can put them in a bowl and eat them with a spoon or fork at your dinner table or in the park on a blanket. This salad was especially easy to make. I used white corn this time and wish I had gone with yellow sweet corn -- not only would the pictures have been more fun to look at, but the sweetness of the corn would have really balanced everything else out.
This makes a ton, but thankfully it keeps well, too. Serve this in a bowl, in a pita, or on a tortilla -- you can't go wrong any way you choose.
If you like cold salads in the summer, too, just wait -- we have a post planned with not one, but FIVE quick-to-fix summer salads coming up!
Don't you love the suspense? At least for now you have this one to tide you over until then.
over here, and I'm so glad I did!
Chickpea Summer Salad with Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette
serves 6-8 (makes about 12 cups)
- 1 lb corn (thawed if frozen)
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained**
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cucumber, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 red onion, diced (about a cup)
- 1/4-1/3 c olive oil **you can also sub in some of the chickpea liquid for the half the oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, about a full cup loose
- 1/4 c lime juice
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp pepper
-- Puree (or whisk as long as you chop the cilantro very fine) the oil, cilantro, lime juice, garlic and pepper until smooth and wonderfully green!
-- Combine the remaining ingredients in the largest mixing or serving bowl you can find.
-- Pour dressing over top and stir until well incorporated.
-- Let sit for at least 15 minutes before eating, but it's best after it's had time to chill.