Thursday, August 8, 2013

Black Rice and Lentil Salad

My dear mother found this recipe in a magazine somewhere, tweaked it a little, and brought it to one of my son's birthday parties.  Everyone loved it and Scot practically demanded I get my hands on the recipe.

I did a few tweaks of my own (and try as I can, I can not find an online version of the original recipe to link to!) and we love it.  I had never cooked with black rice for and I'm so thankful my mother warned me to rinse the rice really well.  Let me repeat that for you: rinse the rice really well! The lentils and rice cook the same amount of time, so that saves a step, and the add-ins and dressing are just enough tart-sweet and crunch-soft to get you addicted.

The salad is better if it's been left in the fridge overnight or all day -- something about the lentils and rice absorbing the wonderful flavors and all that jazz.

Scot's favorite way to eat this: in a tortilla with a little lettuce.  Mine: in a bowl with a salad on the side.

Enjoy!



Black Rice and Lentil Salad
serves 6-8 (9 cups)

  • 4 cups cooked black rice and lentils (1 cup dry of each + 4 cups water, cook together)
  • 1 8oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
  • 3/4 cup thawed peas
  • 3/4 cup chopped carrots
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
  • 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
  • 1/2 cup craisins
  • 1/4 cup sliced scallions
  • 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
  • 1/3 cup cranberry juice
  • 1/3 cup red wine vinegar (or a blush)
  • 3/4 tsp dry basil
  • 3/4 tsp sugar (opt and to taste)
  • salt and pepper to taste
--  Mix all salad ingredients (rice through cilantro) together in a large bowl.
-- In a smaller bowl, mix the dressing together (cranberry juice through sugar) until the sugar disolves and then pour over salad and stir to combine.
-- Let chill overnight or all day.
-- Season with salt and pepper to taste.

1 comment: