Thursday, August 15, 2013

Corn Chowder Quinoa Casserole


This dinner was a cinch to throw together.  Seriously, it was easier than I thought it would be, and the directions made it look super easy.  Dreena Burton is amazing with pretty much everything she puts out -- if you haven't gone and scoped her blog out, you should.  I got Let The Eat Vegan a couple months ago and let's just say, the recipes I tweak slightly will be on this blog (fully giving DB credit, of course) -- the other recipes of hers you'll have to find in the cookbook itself.  I'm loving the cookbook and highly recommend it.

This recipe, though, was one I had wanted to try and was so happy when I did.  It's comfort food at its finest and with fall right around the corner (I know, I said it!), you should file this recipe away for the first cold snap.

I changed a few things around, but not much to alter the taste.  If you like corn chowder, you'll love this dish.  It needs the salt and generous amount of fresh cracked pepper, but no chowder is complete without it, so this should come as no surprise.

I realize I don't re-make enough of my meals.  My sons, in the middle of finishing off his bowl, looked me strait in the eye and said "Mom, this is really good.  Can you make it again -- but soon?"   Yes, son, I'll make it again, and soon, it's too easy not to!

I served this with some steamed broccoli and a green garden salad.

Corn Chowder Quinoa Casserole
Serves 4-6

  • 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 1/2 cups sweet corn (2 cups frozen and thawed) OR 2 cup finely diced red/new potatoes 
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
  • 3/4 cup finely chopped red or yellow onion
  • 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 1 15 oz can white kidney, or any white, bean, rinsed and drained
  • 1 tsp dry basil
  • 1 tsp dijon mustard
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 TBLS fresh cilantro, chopped fine
  • salt and pepper to taste
-- Preheat your oven to 400
-- Puree 1 cup of the milk with 3/4 cup of the corn
-- In a 2 QT oven-safe baking dish (8x11 or 9x9) combine the puree with all other ingredients (except the cilantro).  Stir well.
-- Cover with foil and bake for 50-60 minutes, mixing halfway through. Remove when quinoa is all cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
-- Remove bay leaf, add cilantro, and stir well. Season with salt and pepper as desired.

-- You can add 1-2 TBLS of fresh lime juice if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment