This is a salad I grew up with. My mother graciously let me have the recipe so I could share it here. For me, this is a perfect spring or summer salad. It's incredibly fresh tasting and very easy to throw together. And let me tell you from years of experience -- it's the first salad to disappear at any picnic or potluck.
Serves 6 (5 cups)
Active time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes (not including chill time)
Serving Suggestions: Along side a burger with sweet potato fries.
What you'll need:
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 packed cup raisins OR currants
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1 cup dry couscous
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 TBLS lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 scallions, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced dried apricots, about 12 (more for garnish, if desired)
What you'll do:
- Boil broth with raisins and cumin in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and add couscous. Cover and let it sit 5 minutes. Fluff it with a fork.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- When couscous is slightly cooled and fluffed, gently stir in remaining ingredients and drizzle dressing on top, making sure to stir all to combine.
For best results: let it sit for an hour before serving to let the flavors mingle