Thursday, August 22, 2013

Zucchini Quinoa Casserole [re-vamped]

Sometimes I really like a dish.  Like, really like it and make it a few times, but then I find other dishes I like more.  Or, really, that are less time consuming.

Such is the case with this Zucchini Quinoa "Casserole" -- I made it a few times, we always loved it when I did, but I soon realized that it just took too long for such a simple dish.  Simply delicious dish, I might add, but an hour between start and finish is not a quick weeknight dinner in my book and it wasn't fancy enough, or unique enough, to warrant more time on a weekend.

In the past year, I've probably made this dish once.  Maybe.  I've looked at it, thought it would be nice to try again.  That it might be nice to slowly slice those zucchini, and let them weep, and gently dry their tears.  Might me nice to then (after sitting and waiting for the quinoa to cook) layer everything and wait yet again for it to all cook some more...but then, time after time, I passed the recipe over.

I had the privileged of having my grandmother stay with us for a week earlier this month.  She has a sensitive stomach and I thought to myself: Now is the perfect time to make that Zucchini Quinoa Casserole again!   I knew I would have the time, and it was simple enough, and not spicy, that it would suite her tastes and what we needed.

Well, life happens, and we were out in the afternoon later than planned and me, being one to not deviate from a set schedule like a meal plan, knew I had over an hours worth of work ahead of me and two tired and hungry boys.  So I re-vamped the recipe, which cut the time in half, and will never make the original again.  As in, I threw the old recipe card away and wrote out a new one.

Oh, and the end product: still tastes just. as. good.



Zucchini Quinoa Casserole [re-vamped]
serves 4-6
  • 2 large zucchini, cut in half length-wise and then sliced into thin half-moons (4 cups)  quartered if they are especially rotund zucchinis. 
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 cup of your favorite spaghetti sauce -- we use the 365 brand's Roasted Vegetable
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well
  • 1 TBLS dry basil
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • s & p to taste
-- Combine everything in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil, cover and simmer 20-30 minutes until the quinoa is cooked fully and the liquid has been absorbed -- stir occasionally.

-- To make this stretch to ensure 6 people are fed, add in a can of black beans (rinsed and drained) 

-- Feel free to sprinkle cheese on each individual serving


2 comments:

  1. You are awesome. :) I love when things get easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I'm constantly looking for short-cuts on favorites.

      Delete