This soup is a creation of Brittany's and received rave reviews from those who tried it during out recipe testing. Enjoy!
The health benefits of both beets and cabbage are outstanding, but they are not always the first vegetables that come to mind when planning a weekly menu. This soup combines these super-stars in a surprisingly mellow fashion, and keeps you coming back for seconds! May be served hot or chilled, chunky or pureed.
Beet & Cabbage Borscht
Active time: 30 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Total time: 1 hr
Serving Suggestions: Eat this with sourdough or dark rye bread on the side along with a salad
What you'll need:
- 1 TBLS canola oil
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 6 cups quartered and thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 tsp caraway seed
- 6 cups vegetable broth + 2 cups water
- 3 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 cups peeled, halved, and thinly sliced beets
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried dill weed
- 2 TBLS apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBLS honey OR agave
- 1, 15oz can tomato sauce
What you'll do:
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, sauté onions, carrots, celery, cabbage, and caraway seed until onions are translucent and vegetables are tender (about 10-15 minutes), cover with lid to speed up the process.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until beets and potatoes are tender (about 30 minutes).
- If desired, allow to cool a bit and puree.