Thursday, October 17, 2013

Mini-Quiches & Creamy Red Lentil Soup

These little guys were Ah. May. Zing.  Amazing, I say.  I was skeptical.  How could some simple Chickpea flour and water, plus some spices and add-ins taste anything like a quiche?!  Well -- I'll spoil the surprise.

They do!

They have a little bit of a different texture.  Thicker and more dense than a muffin, but nice and creamy in the middle.  And depending on what you put in them, they are just fabulous.

I got the recipe over here and many thanks to the gal who did all the work to figure out the correct proportions.  Many many thanks.

I've done some experimenting with different combos:
  • 1 tsp Herbs de Provence + 3 mini-bell peppers + 1 scallion, sliced
  • 1 tsp basil + 1/3 cup chopped mushrooms + 1 scallion, sliced + 1/4 cup finely chopped spinach
  • 1 tsp Herb de Provence + 1/3 cup very finely chopped broccoli + 1 scallion, sliced
I have tried anything with tomatoes yet, but I think it would be good.  I also want to try some chopped green chiles, but I don't think the boys would eat them, so I've stayed away.

I halved the recipe to just make 6 at a time (a pan of 6 fits nicely into my toaster oven!), and omitted the oil and used applesauce instead.  Totally a preference thing.  Olive oil is good fat, I say go for it and enjoy, but the husband likes it when I cut the oil as much as possible so I gave it a try and it worked. 

Eat these for breakfast with some fruit, along side a nice bowl of tomato soup at lunch, or on top of chili for dinner.


Mini-Quiches [Plant-based]
makes 6 regular
  • 1 1/4 cup garbanzo flour (Bob's Red Mill)
  • 1 1/2 cups cold water
  • 1 1/2 TBLS olive oil or applesauce
  • 1 tsp salt
  • add-ins: herbs, mushrooms, peppers, etc, all chopped fine
-- Mix the first four ingredients together in a 4 cup measuring cup until all the clumps are out and the mixture is smooth.  Add in herbs, if using, and stir.
-- Pour into greased muffin tins and sprinkle in your add-ins.
-- Bake for 15 minutes at 450 and then crack the oven door open and cook another 12 minutes until the edges have just started to brown.  Remove and cool 10 minutes before popping out of the tins.

These are GREAT to freeze (especially if you double it).  Once you pop them out, let them cool completely and then put into freezer bags and label.
Supposedly, you can make a fritata if you double this recipe.  I'm interested to see how that turns out!

And now, for a soup that these are equally as amazing with!!

This is a super simple and easy soup.  Due to the use of the wonderfully quick-cooking red lentils, this is the soup I go to when I need a light, and yet protein-filled, soup to go with a protein-light main dish.  It's flavorful and perfect for a quick lunch, too, with a chunk of bread, or one of the mini-quiche muffins!



Creamy Red Lentil Soup
serves 4-6

  • 1 TBLS crushed garlic
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 cup dry red lentils
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • lemon wedges for serving
-- Saute the garlic, onion, carrots, and celery until tender.  7-9 minutes.
-- Add the lentils, water, broth, spices, and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes until the lentils are very soft.
-- Puree with an immersion blender and season with salt and pepper.
-- Serve each bowl with a wedge of lemon to brighten the soup, if desired. 


No comments:

Post a Comment