Friday, October 11, 2013

Miso Week Recipe 4: Cauliflower Miso Soup

To close out this little week on miso, I now give you this wonderfully easy and exceptionally tasty pureed soup.  Oh and wow.  This was amazing.  I think it may be my new favorite vegetable pureed soup -- and that says something.  I could have eaten for a fourth day had there been more leftovers.  Alas, there was not, and I had to be content to get only 2 lunches out of it. The men in the house enjoyed it as well -- maybe not quite so much as I did, but they all said that it was a new family favorite.

I served this with the Honey-Miso chickpeas, candied sweet potatoes, and a small green salad.  It was quite the meal, let me tell you!

I did end up "crisping up" some onion and I do think it added to the over-all flavor, but I do think it would have been fine without the addition, too.

Original recipe found here.

Cauliflower Miso Soup
serves 6
  • 1 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 1/2 cup chopped carrots
  • 1 head of cauliflower, chopped (florets)  6 cups
  • 6 cups broth (2 cups water, 4 cups broth)
  • 1 TBLS dry parsley
  • 1 tsp paprika or chili powder
  • 1 TBLS light colored miso
  • 2 cups chopped onion for "crisping" (optional)
-- In a large stock pot or dutch over, sauce the onion, celery and carrots, 7-9 minutes, until soft.
-- Add the cauliflower and paprika and stir until coated
-- Add broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes until cauliflower is tender. 
-- Meanwhile, caramelize the onions if using
-- When cauliflower is soft, puree with a hand blender, or VERY CAREFULLY in a blender.
-- Put miso in a small bowl and add a quarter cup of soup to the bowl and stir until miso is dissolved.  Add soup back into pot and stir until fully incorporated.
-- Season with salt and pepper as desired.
-- Top each serving with crispy onions if desired

No comments:

Post a Comment