I know most food bloggers (am I one of them?!) are probably not even posting today, and if they are, they're posting something ubber-healthy. I'll get there, don't worry. But for now, let me share these Dark Secret Brownies with you!
I meshed the typical black-bean brownie recipe with my "hit it rich" from-scratch brownie recipe and came up with this fabulous recipe! It's been eaten at many a gathering where noone even knew there were beans in it and everyone that they were wonderful! They are wonderfully chewy chocolatey brownies made with no oil or egg and they're still delicious! Try them and you'll see! Now -- that's a secret worth telling, right?
Happy new year. Enjoy!
Dark Secret Brownies
Serves 18 squares
What you'll need:
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained OR 1 can pumpkin
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (vegan options available)
What you'll do:
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine the black beans with the water in your food processor and pulse until creamy (if you don't have a food processor, don't worry! Just mash the beans with a potato masher or large spoon and then stir in the water until combined) If you’re using the pumpkin, there is no water or pureeing necessary.
- Dump bean mixture into a mixing bowl and add vanilla.
- In a smaller bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar, cocoa powder and stir. Add these dry ingredients to the bean mixture and stir until all combined. It will be thick.
- Melt chocolate chips in a microwave safe container and add to brownie batter. Stir to combine.
- Pour batter into a well greased 8x11 baking dish. An 8x8 dish can be used, just cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the middle is no longer gooey and toothpick comes out clean when inserted. DO NOT OVER BAKE. The brownies will continue to cook after you take them out of the oven.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before cutting.