Thursday, January 30, 2014

Red Lentil Quinoa Cutlets with easy Mushroom Soup

What are you all fixing for Valentine's Day?  I think this duo may make it to our table.  I haven't decided yet.

I made this dish back in December and I'm just now getting around to posting it -- sorry, but life is...well...life.  It keeps going at its very busy pace and I'm left trying to catch up.

Anyway.  Both these dishes are easy and simple, and they taste amazing.  They taste spectacular together.  I made the soup (next time I'll double it!) and used it as a stand-in gravy.  It worked really well, but we loved the combination so much, that we took the leftovers and made a "stack" out of it.  Cutlet with a generous portion of the soup on top, with another cutlet and more soup on top of that.  Can I say ahhhh-maaa---zing!  Wow.

You may think this is an adult-only meal, but my boys both asked for seconds.  They especially loved the soup, which, I will admit, is potentially one of my new favorite soups.  It's simple and easy and would be perfect to dress up a dinner, or as a lunch with a piece of toasted hearty bread.  Yum.

Anyway, I think if I make this in two weeks for Valentine's Day, I'll serve it with roasted balsamic green beans or asparagus.

Original cutlet recipe can be found here.  And the original mushroom soup recipe is here.

Since I followed the cutlet recipe to the letter, I'll let you get the recipe over there instead of re-writing it. The soup, on the other hand, I tweaked a little, and so I'll give you my version here.

Mushroom Soup
serves 4 (double it!!)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 8oz pk of mushrooms, baby bellas work well
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 tsp dry sage
  • 2-3 cups vegetable broth 
  • 1 15oz can black beans, rinse and drain
-- Saute onion and mushroom 7-9 minutes, until soft and mushrooms have released their liquid
-- Add garlic and sage.  Saute 1 minute
-- Add broth and beans and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.  Puree and add salt and pepper to taste. 






No comments:

Post a Comment