Growing up, my mother would make a wonderful creamy spinach soup on cold days. I think it was a Knorr packet that she "doctored" up, but I have such fond memories of the delicious creamy goodness. I wanted to remake that creamy spinach soup for my own children to enjoy, and this is what I came up with.
So in honor of leprechauns and all things green -- here is my version of that soup. Please don't be put off with the color, it really is quite tasty!
Creamy Spinach Soup
Active time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Serving Suggestions: A hearty grilled cheese for lunch, as a starter for a larger dinner, or with some bread and a quinoa salad for a lighter dinner.
What you'll need:
- 2 cups peeled and chopped baking potatoes
- 1 TBLS olive oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 10 oz box of frozen spinach, thawed OR 1 9-10 oz bag of fresh spinach OR 1 can spinach, drained but not squeezed dry
- 1 cup almond milk
What you'll do:
- Put the potatoes in a microwave safe dish and heat for 8 minutes until they are tender
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil. Saute the onion in the oil for about 5 minutes until transparent.
- Add broth, salt and pepper, nutmeg, potatoes and spinach. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- If using raw spinach, add now and stir until wilted.
- Using an immersion blender, or a regular blender, carefully puree the soup until creamy.
- Add milk and stir to combine.