Simple Shepherd's Pie
- 8 cups cubed sweet potatoes (2.5 lbs)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup each, fine diced: onion, celery, carrot (use the food processor if you want!)
- 1 TBLS minced garlic
- 4 cups cooked lentils (2 cups brown lentils + 4 cups broth)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 TBLS soy sauce or tamari
- 1 heaping TBLS fresh cut basil, or 2 tsp dried
-- Cook sweet potatoes (in a pot or in the microwave) until soft. Add garlic powder and up to a half cup water and mash until smooth, adding water (or milk) as needed.
-- In a large skillet or pot, saute veggies and garlic 10 minutes until soft
-- Add cooked lentils and cook 3 minutes
-- Add tomatoes, soy sauce, and basil and cook 10 minutes or so until nice and thick
-- OPTIONAL: if you have a handful or two of spinach, it's really nice to take about a cup of chopped spinach here and throw it in!
-- Transfer lentils to a 9x13, top with mashed sweet potatoes, and bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 350. Top should be toasty brown (may need to broil for desired visual effect)