Saturday, June 13, 2009

Blackberry Cobbler

When I lived in Washington state, our house butted up against this immense open space littered with humongous blackberry bushes. My mother would often send Jared and I out with her biggest bowls for us to collect the juicy, ripe, fruit. We would always come back with our hands, and invariably our mouths, too, stained from blackberry juice. There are few things better than fresh off the vine blackberries as big as your thumb. I have always loved berries, but since then, those black beauties are a favorite. In tribute to my love for the berry - here is my favorite cobbler recipe strait from my mother's kitchen. You can substitute any fruit or berry, and I'll bet you've never seen a recipe this easy from scratch. :)

Blackberry Cobbler

Serves 8
Active time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 30-40 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Serving suggestions: Great by itself, but it's wonderful with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some coffee or tea.

What you'll need:

  • 4 good sized cups/16 oz bag of berries, fresh or frozen.  Blackberries or Mixed berries are best
  • 5 TBLS flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup cold butter

What you'll do:

  • Preheat oven to 400.
  • Lightly grease an 8x11 baking dish.
  • Pour berries into the baking dish.
  • Mix the 5 T flour with the cinnamon and sprinkle over the berries.
  • Mix the flour and sugar together and then cut the butter into it until it resembles coarse crumbs.
  • Sprinkle flour mixture over berries and bake 30-40 minutes until top browns.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds very very yummy. I am flying home, but we Jeff has a good friend in Ft Collins, so we may be down that way in the fall. I'd love to see that big boy! Hope you guys are well and Scot's journey to being a Dr is going smoothly!

    ReplyDelete