Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Greek Bean Salad

You remember last week when I said I wanted to make a cold salad and soup for dinner but it was gloomy out in the morning, so I went with a hot soup? Well, today was the exact opposite. It was hot out until the evening and then it cooled down quite a bit - but we still had out cold salad and soup! I got this recipe from my friend, Anne, who transcribed it from a Dutch recipe she has, which is funny, because it's a Greek salad. Either way, it was yummy. I tweaked it a little to our liking and it was fantastic. I used only 3 cans Navy beans, and 1 can Chick pea - I think next time, I can do even more beans. I also did 2 cucumbers because we like our cucumbers in this house! I did a whole 6 oz can of olives and more feta than it called for. This is a great base recipe - adapt it to what ever you like!! I served it with Pita Pockets, but you can eat is as just a salad - and I had my Strawberry Soup on the side. Delish!

Greek Bean Salad
  • 6 Large tomatoes
  • 4 cans navy beans - drained
  • 2 red onions
  • 4 green onions
  • 1 cucumber
  • 7 oz feta cheese (opt)
  • 3 oz sliced olives
  • 2 T chopped fresh parsley

--Dice everything as large or small as you want it and put it in a bowl.

Dressing:
  • 6 T Ketchup
  • 2 t dried Italian herbs
  • 3 T lemon juice or vinegar
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

--Mix or shake very well and pour over salad.
--Let salad sit for at least an hour in the fridge before serving.

Anne told me that is keeps really well for quite a few days!


It makes a TON!! I had another smaller bowl in the fridge, too. You can't really tell in the picture, but this is one of those big mixing bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment