Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Sausage Sweet Potatoe Bake

I got this recipe from my mom and I was very timid to try it at first. Apples, sweet potatoes, and sausage? Are you sure? But Scot requests it all the time and I have to say, "How about something else, we had that just a couple weeks ago?!" Anyways, the only tricky part for me was finding something to go with it. I serve it with hearty bread and something green - a salad or a veggie. Otherwise, it's a pretty complete meal in and of itself. It's slightly sweet, so if you're of a European opinion that nothing but dessert should be sweet, you should cook something else! :) This is great as a main dish, but could also be a side of some sort. Or...if you wanted, I'm sure it would be wonderful as a hearty breakfast! No matter how you eat it, just enjoy it.

Sausage Sweet Potato Bake
  • 1 lb Maple flavored sausage - or, just add maple syrup in the sauce
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes - raw, peeled, sliced into 1 inch chunks
  • 3 medium apples - I use granny's - peeled and sliced into 1 inch chunks
  • 2 T sugar
  • 1 T flour
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1/2 t cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup water
--Arrange potatoes and apples in greased 9x11 dish. 'Sprinkle' browned meat over.
--Combine remaining ingredients and pour over all
--Cover and bake 1 hour at 375 or until potatoes are soft

This is a little more intense than my other recipes, but it's still easy. It takes about 15 minutes of peeling and chopping while the meat is browning, but then it's just an hour in the oven, giving you time to get together a side, set the table, or blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment