Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Old-fashioned Skillet Cornbread



We had chili and cornbread for dinner tonight in honor of it being the first day of fall. I'm pretty sure everyone has a good chili recipe they like, so I'm not spot-lighting that, but the cornbread! (If you don't have a good chili recipe where everyone always asks for seconds, leave a note and I'll post it) This cornbread recipe has been passed down on my mother's side of the family for I don't know how long. It doesn't really matter though, since it's so good, I just like saying it. Typically, I put this in the cast iron skillet (everything is better in cast iron!), but sometimes I'll just throw it in an 8x8 and toss it in the toaster oven.



Old-fashioned Skillet Cornbread

Serves 6-8
Active time:10 minutes
Bake time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Serving suggestions: Any soup (lentil is fabulous!), chili, or stew.  If there are any leftovers, we like to break it up in a bowl and pour some milk and sprinkle some sugar and cinnamon on top for a breakfast treat.

What you'll need:

  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup canola oil OR applesauce*
  • 1 cup milk** OR ¾ cup almond milk + ¼ cup water
  • 2 eggs OR 2 TBLS flaxseed meal added in with dry ingredients
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract (opt)

What you'll do:

  • Preheat oven to 400.
  • Grease a 2 QT baking dish: 8x8, 8x11, or swirl 1 TBLS oil in a large cast iron skillet (my favorite way!)
  • Combine all dry ingredients in small bowl.
  • Combine all wet ingredients in a larger bowl.
  • Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ones, mixing as you pour. Make sure there aren't any lumps.
  • Pour corn bread mixture into greased baking dish.
  • Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.

Nutrition Facts (per serving, 1/6 of recipe**):
Calories 311 (Calories from fat 105); Total Fat 12g (Saturated 1g); Cholesterol 63mg; Sodium 567mg; Potassium 168mg; Total Carbohydrate 46g (Dietary Fiber 2g); Sugars 13g; Protein 7g; Vitamins/Minerals - Vitamin A 217 IU; Vitamin C 0mg; Calcium 244mg; Iron 2mg; Folate 53mcg


*please note that substitution of oil w/ applesauce cuts fat content substantially, but slightly increases carbohydrate & sugar content
**nutrient analysis assumes fat free dairy milk, fortified w/ Vit A & D

1 comment:

  1. Sarah,
    I do not have a chili recipe. I didn't use to like it, so I never looked for a good one. But my tastes are changing and I would love to see yours. You can send it to me through facebook if you don't feel like posting it. I love your blog. It's so fun to see what other ladies are making for their families! Thanks for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete