Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Cream Cake with Butter cream Frosting


I am not a baker. I mush prefer the go-with-the-flow method of cooking. Throw a little of this and that in and it's ok. You can't be spontaneous (or as spontaneous) with baking. And if you can, I have yet to come across that recipe. About a week ago, I made a dessert (it'll be up here soon) that called for some whipping cream. After I was done with that dessert, I still had a cup of whipping cream left over that I didn't want to go to waste, so I started looking on my favorite recipe search engine (allrecipes.com) and found this recipe. I followed a lot of the advice given, and made this cake, along with the butter cream frosting, last night for my folks. Everyone loved it! It was light and moist and most of all - yummy! It doesn't taste like a normal box cake at all, and quite honestly, I'm not sure if I'll even go back to a box mix for birthday cakes!

Cream Cake
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 2 1/4 t baking powder
  • 1.5 cups flour
--In a small bowl, mix together the salt, baking powder, and flour - set aside
--Beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla with electric mixer for close to 10 minutes - this is what gives it the light texture
--At the end of the 10 minutes, while still beating, very slowly add the whipping cream
--After the whipping cream has been beaten in well, slowly pour all the dry ingredients. Beat until smooth
--Pour into a greased 9-inch round, or 9x9 pan
--Bake for 35-40 minutes

Butter cream Frosting
  • 1/2 cup butter/margarine
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 2.5-3 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 T milk
--Cream and beat all together until smooth

Notes:
  • I added a little cinnamon to the cake batter to give it a more earthy flavor and it worked really well. I also sprinkled the finished cake with a little cinnamon.
  • I heated the frosting once I made it so it was a little thinner and easier to spread on the cake. The frosting recipe makes a lot, you could get away with halving it for this particular cake.
  • Other people make a jam-based glaze for the cake and I think that would work really well - even just powdered sugar on top would have been perfect. The cake is good enough on it's own, it doesn't need a rich frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment