Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Danish Creams


I got this recipe from our church's most recent recipe exchange! It is beyond good. It's so good, it is going to be one of the reoccurring desserts at my Christmas meal. I host Christmas every year, and since I like tradition, I like to have some of the same things on the table year after year. I always have 2 meats, 2 vegetables, 2 desserts, and 2 salads. 1 of the meats (my French Canadian Tourtier) is in honor of my French Canadian heritage. The Creamy Sweet Potato Soup is a favorite and so it stays simply because we like it. This Danish Cream speaks to Scot's Scandinavian heritage, and so it will now become a staple. The salads, I think, will always stay the same since I grew up with them: Ambrosia and my mom's Cranberry Orange salad thing. Thankfully, she's bringing those this year, but I'm going to have to get the recipes for upcoming years! All that aside, I had to try this dessert out before I just entered it into my Christmas menu! It's rich and creamy and, really, just scrumptious! Thanks, Deb, for sharing!

Danish Creams
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream - upwhipped
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
  • 1 cup sour cream - I used light and it turned out fine
  • 1/2 t vanilla
  • 2 10 oz packages of frozen berries - I used mixed berries and it was fantastic!
--Pour fruit into a bowl to thaw (you really do want frozen berries for this because they create the most juice once thawed)
--Combine whipping cream, sugar and gelatin in saucepan and heat until sugar and gelatin are completely dissolved - do not boil!
--Remove from heat and let stand 15 minutes
--Add sour cream and vanilla - beat until well blended
--Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve
--Spoon into small dishes (not large servings) and top with the berries and juice

Note: Makes 4 - good to double to serve 8

No comments:

Post a Comment