Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Thai Sweet Sticky Rice with Mango (Khao Neeo Mamuang)


This is the rice/mango dessert I was talking about to go with the Thai Peanut Butter Sauce stir-fry. It is authentic as any I've had at a Thai restaurant, and that's saying something since Thai is my favorite food to eat out. My aunt is Thai and I've eaten at the best little hole-in-the-walls for the last few years - including this fantastic place in NYC! Ahh...my mouth is watering right now just thinking about it. Anyway, this is the real deal. I got this recipe off allrecipes.com and I haven't used any other since.

Thai Sweet Sticky Rice With Mango (Khao Neeo Mamuang)

  • 1 cup uncooked white rice (I use Jasmine)
  • 1.5 cups water
  • 1 cup coconut milk (the exact amount left over from the Peanut Butter Sauce)
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • mango
  • Sesame seeds (opt)
--Cook the rice in the water until done.
--When the rice is close to being done, heat the coconut milk, sugar, and salt in a small sauce pan until boiling.
--Add the done rice to the hot milk, remove from heat, stir, and cover. Let sit for one hour.
--Peel and slice the mango laying it on top of the rice. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top if desired.

There is traditionally a sauce that goes over it all, but for me, that ruins it, it just makes the rice all watery when that's what I don't want. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment