Saturday, January 2, 2010

Deluxe Hot Cocoa Mix

My punch bowl full of cocoa mix

My husband is a Hot Cocoa addict. Ok, so maybe not quite to the addict stage yet, but when I buy hot cocoa mix in the little container, it's gone in a matter of days. Last year, to help save cost and still let him sip him yummy drink, I made my own hot cocoa mix. This year, I did the same. This is also a great little gift to give friends and family during the holidays. It makes 16 cups (8 pint jars is all you need for your gifts, and some ribbon!) and fits into a gallon sized pitcher/container. And it lasts a LOT longer than just a few days. It costs about 10 - 15 dollars to make, depending on if you get certain things name brand or on sale, but it's so worth it!!

Deluxe Hot Cocoa Mix
  • 2.5 cups cocoa powder - I use Hersey, some others will be sweeter, richer, or stronger in different aspects. Hersey is what Walmart carries so it's what I use.
  • 1 (2 lb) bag of powdered sugar
  • 2.5 cups creamer - I like really chocolaty hot cocoa, so I use chocolate flavored creamer and just a little 'almond creme'. If you like just subtle hints of chocolate, I suggest using a Hazelnut or Vanilla flavored creamer. I used just normal, non-flavored creamer last year and it wasn't nearly as good as this years!
  • 9 cups dry milk - measure it out into a separate bowl and then in 2 batches run it through a food processor or blender. This eliminates the 'mud' at the bottom of your cup because it is not the same 'fineness' as the other ingredients.

--Mix it all together in a LARGE punch bowl or even...dare I say it...a trash bag. Clean, of course. If you mix it, the easiest way is with a whisk.
--Mix 1/3 cup of mix with 1 cup hot water and enjoy.

Other variations include, but are not limited to, marshmallows, cinnamon (about 1 T), other spices, and really, whatever you want. :) Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment