Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Key Lime Pie


Oh. My. Goodness. This stuff is amazing. I found this recipe and decided to try it because Scot's Uncle is a huge fan of Key Lime pies...he's even eaten slices of the stuff in the Keys themselves! The greatest thing about this recipe? There are only 4 ingredients minus the crust. Yeah. You read right. 4 ingredients. Or 5. Depending. And chances are, you have 3 of them in your refrigerator right now. I made whipped cream to go with this and it was to die for.

Key Lime Pie
  • A single 9 inch graham cracker crust - you could be really Martha Stewart-ish and make this yourself. I chose to do the easy thing and buy one. (Making one, I'm sure, is easy, too...but I have a 21 month old and I'm 39 weeks pregnant...)
  • 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk. (Don't buy the light or fat-free kind!)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 cup Key Lime juice - I did a lot of research on this whole Key Lime juice thing since I knew that it was different than normal lime juice, but I didn't know how. Wanna know a trick? The 'flavor index', as they say, of Key Lime juice, is the same as the juice you get when you mix 1/2 lemon juice with 1/2 lime juice. Pretty neat, huh? So that's what I did. If you want to do the real thing - it takes about 20 key limes.
  • 1 T lime zest
--Mix all ingredients together until creamy.
--Pour into whatever crust you decide to go with.
--Pop it the oven (350) for about 8 minutes until the little pin hole bubbles pop. If that doesn't happen, just don't leave it in so long it browns.
--Chill it a couple hours and then enjoy with some home made whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment