Or Happy Mountains. But I like the Hawaiian Haystack title better. This is a great crowd pleaser - especially when you're not sure what people like to eat. I've made it a few times now and every time I get rave reviews. Adults love it. Kids love it. It's pretty much just a bunch of random vegetables (and some fruit) thrown together. And it's delicious. What's not to love? This is a wonderful summer-time meal -- it's light and fresh and oh so tasty. I usually double it and then enjoy the left overs for lunch and dinner the following days. It's that good.
- 4-6 cups cooked rice
- 3 cups cooked and cubed chicken
- 2 cans cream of chicken coup - you can use the 98% Fat Free kind - doesn't affect the taste in the least!
- 1 cup chicken broth/stock
- 1 can pineapple tidbits (the liquid - about 1 cup - reserved for the sauce)
- Celery - sliced
- Carrots - sliced
- Tomatoes - diced
- Green onions - sliced
- Water chestnuts - sliced or diced
- Sliced almonds or peanuts
- Coconut (this is a must -- it totally makes the dish)
- Chow Mien Noodles
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
-- Meanwhile, put all the "toppings" into bowls.
-- To serve, just pile it on starting with the rice and then the chicken. **Note that once you pile everything on it's pretty big, so go easy on the rice and chicken