So this was an experiment that turned out really well. The original recipe is not for a soup, but for some odd togetherness of everything in this soup - just minus the broth. So I just added broth and cut out the cheese because I thought the recipe was for soup and that's what I was in the mood for. This would be easy to cut in half or make as directed and freeze half since it feeds so many (12!). Make some nice warm bread and you're good to go!
Beef and Barley Soup
- 2 lbs ground beef or turkey
- 1 large onion - diced
- 1 (11oz) box quick cooking barley
- Vegetables (I used about 2 cups sliced carrots, 4 stalks celery - sliced, and 1 cup frozen corn -- but you can use whatever you have on hand)
- Seasoning (I used 1 T Italian and 1 T basil and it was great!)
- 10-12 cups beef or vegetable broth (depending on your meat)
- Splash of red wine or apple cider vinegar
--Add seasoning and let the aroma out!
-- Cook barely according to directions while meat is cooking
--Add 10-12 cups beef or vegetable broth (depending on how soup-y or stew-y you want it)
--Add barley when it's done
--Add your splash of vinegar and bring to a boil. Simmer about 30 minutes until the vegetable