With chicken. And broccoli. This was amazing. Amazingly easy, too. As long as you plan ahead and make the garlic paste, it's a cinch to whip together. I think it's also one of Scot's new favorites and may even have a spot on the "Top 10" list for him, but I'd have to double check on that. Essentially, it's a gourmet-ish mac n cheese with some chicken and broccoli thrown in, at least that's what I told my 2 year old. Nice enough to serve to guests but not labor intensive -- my kind of "guest" meal! Serve with a nice salad and some bread, put some candles on the table and justlikethat you're in your own little Italian restaurant. At least that's what we pretended last night. For about 5 minutes. Until the boys each wanted to sit in a lap and talk to Daddy. Serves 4
White Cheddar, Wine & Roasted Garlic Pasta8 oz. Penne
- 2 T butter
- ¼ cup roasted garlic paste (Wrap 2 heads of garlic (with the papery outer layer off and the top 1/4 cut off) in tin foil and bake for one hour at 350. Let cool and then squeeze roasted garlic goodness into a small bowl and smash with a fork.)
- 1½ T flour
- ¼ c white wine
- 1 c chicken broth
- 1 c shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets and blanched until crisp-tender, OR, if you're in a hurry like me and don't have time to chop chop chop, one bag of frozen broccoli florets steamed
- 1 boneless/skinless chicken breast (2 halves), grilled or pan fried and cut into bite size pieces
- Grated Parmesan for the top (actually pictured!!!)
--In a large saucepan or skillet, melt the butter over medium heat and add the garlic paste. Stir about a minute. Add the flour and stir some more.
--Add the liquids, stirring constantly, and let it come to a simmer for 2 or 3 minutes.
--Add the cheese and enjoy watching it melt before your eyes. Oh yes. Stir.
--Add in the chicken and broccoli and stir to coat.
--By now, your pasta should be done, so drain that and then add into the sauce as well.
--Dish 'er up and enjoy the delicate and yet intricate flavors!